Eat and Drink Smarter
Start the year off by increasing your energy levels. The top 7 items that can weigh you down mentally and physically and mentally are:
- Added sugars
- Water – not enough
- Energy Drinks
- Processed grains
- Fried and fast foods
- Salty snack
The guidelines on the right show the ideal amounts of each of the items that should be ingested each day for optimal health.
“I try to eat as many vegetables (with some percentage raw or steamed) as I can at every meal.”
The CDC Guidelines
- Alcohol (on the days you drink)
Men: 2 drinks/day
Women: 1 drink/day
- Added Sugars
Men: < 36g/day.
Women: < 24g/day
- Water = 70% of your body weight
- Energy Drinks: none unless you are training aerobically for more than 60 minutes
- Processed grains: up to 7 servings
- Fried and fast foods: none
- Salty snacks < 2300 mg of salt/day
It’s Your Move
Complete the sentences below. Then decide which one(s) you would like to make monthly goals. Track your progress using a calendar to check whether or not you achieved the desired behavior that day.
- In an effort to decrease my daily alcohol intake, I will savor each sip and put the glass down in between sips OR alternate drinking water and alcohol.
- I want to limit my daily added sugar intake to _________________.
- I will increase by daily water intake by drinking ____________ ounces of water per day.
- I will cut down on my salt intake by ________________________________________.
- I will each at least ___________ meals per day that contain more veggies than anything else.